Senior Research Advisor
Senior Research Advisor
Advanced Accelerator Applications, a Novartis company, is an innovative radiopharmaceutical company developing, producing and commercializing molecular nuclear medicine theragnostics. AAA offers professionals the opportunity to face new challenges and pursue a career in a fast growing, technology driven healthcare company. We are passionate about improving patient health by leading innovation in nuclear medicine. We are looking for people who share our commitment to help us achieve this goal. Advanced Accelerator Applications is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Job DescriptionThe Senior Research Advisor designs, synthesizes, and characterizes candidate drugs and linkers in support of ongoing discovery efforts. The incumbent develops methods of structural elucidation and characterization of isolated intermediates and target compounds. The incumbent serves as laboratory manager and supports outside vendors selected for novel chemistry intermediates and scale-up processes. The incumbent also manages the activities of direct reports including performance reviews and career development opportunities.
1. Designs and synthesizes candidate drugs and linkers (65%)
• Designing and planning of novel multi-step strategies for synthesis of complex multifunctional molecules based on modern retrosynthetic analysis methods.
• Executing multi-step synthetic routes to the desired target molecule following the planned time line.
• Applying solution phase as well as solid phase synthetic methods for most efficient preparation of the target compound.
• Isolates and purifies complex reaction mixtures by using various modern isolation/purification techniques, such as distillation, extraction, flash chromatography, HPLC, and ultrafiltration.
• Designing novel heteropolyfunctional linkers with precisely tailored properties
• Designing optimized chemical bonds cleavable in specific chemical and/or enzymatic environment
• Documents laboratory activities and maintains laboratory notebook. This notebook is numbered, signed out, and is part of Corporate record retention guidelines. This documentation includes identity of materials tested, equipment and methodology used, testing results, and name and date.
2. Develops methods of structural elucidation and characterization of all isolated intermediates and target compounds while applying modern physical methods (25%)
• Provides correct interpretation of 1D- and 2D-NMR spectra and their correlation with the stereochemistry of complex molecules
• Provides interpretation of mass-spectral data derived by all modern ionization techniques
• Acquires and interprets other appropriate physical data
3. Laboratory Manager (5%)
• Identifies sources and orders specialty chemicals and reagents and prepares and submits purchase orders to finance for approval. Initiates and submits justification documents for new laboratory equipment.
• Oversees the training of new scientists in the use of laboratory instruments and assists them with the ordering process.
4. Additional Responsibilities (5%)
• Assigns work to direct reports and provides leadership including performance reviews and career development guidance.
• Prepares record of invention (ROIs) and/or patent drafts.
• Participates in the creation of publications, posters, and presentations as appropriate.
• Oversees operations of and provides necessary maintenance to laboratory instruments and equipment (e.g., liquid nitrogen and helium supplies for NMR).
• Follows Company/departmental policies, procedures and SOPs
• Special projects as requested
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Minimum requirementsPh.D. degree in synthetic organic or medicinal chemistry with a minimum of 8 years of relevant research product development experience.
Must be authorized to work in the United States.